As a general template, whenever you need to clean dirty glass, you can abide by the following 3 step process-
- clean with cloth first to remove dirt
- dampen cloth with clean water for first wipe
- apply glass cleaning and then swipe for final cleaning
This process can be used for any glass surface in your home.
We can now move into the details. Let's address the indoors first.
- The key to cleaning any window or mirror is to start cleaning the area around it. Make sure you clean the surrounding areas such as the walls, drapes, curtains, woodwork. This will help your windows from getting dirty as soon as you have cleaned them.
- While mirrors can be cleaned with big swipes, windows bust be cleaned in sections. Cleaning windows one small sector at a time help you prevent streak formation caused by soap drying.
- DO NOT use tap water. Tap water contains hard minerals that can leave spots and smear the glass surface as they act as abrasives. Whenever possible, use distilled water.
- Never clean your glass surfaces with a newspaper or paper towels. Using paper is not only wasteful but also leaves behind lint deposits.
- Use a cloth or microfiber cloth to clean your glass surfaces. Soft microfiber cloths can absorb excess water. Unlike paper, it also keeps your glass surfaces lint free.
- The right kind of cleaning chemical does wonders for your glass surfaces. Use ammonia and alcohol free home leaning solutions. They are eco-friendly cleaners that protect the integrity of your glass and do not leave behind streaks that, if left unattended, can attract more dust which in turn can make glass cleaning all the more difficult.
All the above steps can be used for all kinds of glass in your homes and can even be applied to cleaning your car windshields and windows. While using these tips for your vehicle, always keep in mind the following hacks
- Always try and park your car in the shade as it protects your glass from sunlight exposure. It also reduces the chances of your windows developing stress cracks
- No matter how angry you are, do not slam your doors. This can cause the window guiding channels to go loose over time and cause your windows to get stuck making cleaning very difficult.
- Use the right kind of surface cleaning products. You need to be able to see through your windshield when you drive. A streak filled windshield does not exactly help. Therefore ammonia free eco-friendly cleaners are most useful.
- Replace your wipers regularly. If you see the rubber on your wipers eroding, replace them immediately because, if not replaced, the wipers, when in use, will scrap away at your windshield due to the exposed metal.